Sunday, 24 June 2007

Caught in the Balance

Well, then, after two or three days of boredness and laziness (I lost count) I decided that today's evening is my monday. Yes, today is offically Sunday but I decided that from 6 pm onwards it will be Monday. The reason is that I decided yesterday already that I will start working again on Monday. But then I got so bored during the day that the only possibility to avoid further boredness was to postpone Monday. Ok. Blurb. Enough of nonsense.

I started with writing some emails and doing some phonecalls. And then I did some dish washing, finally. They were still left from the dinner on Friday. I couldnt be bothered to do them earlier. And while doing it I listened to Toto, Caught in the Balance. This has two connotations or associations. Firstly, it could be argued that dish washing is something unmanly. And to have at least some manly element in it I could listen to some very manly music with electric guitars and big testicles. Thus, here is the video. It's not with band but quite nice too.



Secondly, I have a rather unorthodox method of dishwashing in comparison to other ones I've seen. For example, the Finnish method. I have one sink full of hot water (and soap) were I clean every plate, cutlery and the like together and then putting them on the side to let them dry. I usually dont wipe them dry. I just leave them there for one or two days and they will dry themselves. But, this sounds easy while it is hard science..! Because the more things I have to wash up the more things have to dry. And the space in the drying area is limited. Hence, I have to built up little towers of plates on top of cups, arranging bowles in piles, putting the cutlery into the spaces left at the end, bla bla. It looks a bit like this:

K2 or Mount Everest are nothing, really nothing, in comparison to this...

This, of course, requires careful and elaborate planning and precise execution. Only one millionth millimetre difference might cause complete failure and destruction. Given that, the only problem is to escape being caught in the balance. It is like jackstraws. I have to think which plate or knife or cup I will take away while making sure that the rest of my towers stays intact. I just cant take the plate from the bottom first, but sometimes that from the top neither as it might hold others in balance. It's a constant struggle to find a loose plate or so which I can put back into the shelves.

To give this whole hölynpöly some meaning, it could be said that my version of dish washing is like society. Everything and everyone is dependent on others and keep each other in balance. With the adjacent risk probably of being caught in that balance without a possibility to escape and be free. Additionally, when someone does something it will certainly trigger some reaction from someone else (if I pull that plate out another might fall down or a sharp knife in my feet). But I guess, I leave it there. LIBERTY TO ALL DISH WASHERS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Freiheit, Gleichheit,Abwaschmittel für alle ! Und immer schön die Balance halten und an die Tagesaufgaben denken !