Sunday, 12 July 2009

Beep Revised

Beep, Beep, Beep. What is beeping? Sputnik. And why is it important? Because it put men on the moon. From a feminist point of view I would say it's good it were men and not women because it wouldn't be that much of a loss in case of disaster...
Continuing from last week's urge to freedom, to touch the sky, and to see the stars an early commemoration of the moon landing.



Unfortunately, it's only purpose was to kick the Soviets in their red asses... Otherwise, we would have stayed there. The thought in my mind these days is how history is redefined in the (British) media at the moment. There are a lot of programs regarding the landings and space in general, May in Space and consorts. But in all of them (at least most) the role of the Soviets in the cosmos is devalued, if not neglected. It was the same 2 years ago with the Sputnik anniversary; I remember some British news saying "The sound that shocked the World". Hm, I would have a good bet if I said that at least half of that "World" was actually dancing on the streets (metaphorically speaking). This time, there are a few other gems, like: "The Americans put the first man into space, Gagarin was only in Earth Orbit." Someone is having sex with definitions there... Or when they ask celebrities about the moon landing and what they felt back then. No word said or asked about the Soviets, only Sputnik and maybe Gagarin if at all... It's kind of amazing how small omissions by the media can change the image of something. It's not even lying about something, it's only not saying it and thus shifting the perspective to only one side of the story (-ies). Well, I hope that in two years they do a proper commemoration of the first man in space and, in four years time, the first woman in space (20 years before the Americans did, btw.; and Tereshkova was on her own and didn't need to be flown by men..).

Oh, what a rant. Maybe because I went to Gagarin and Tereshkova elementary schools. And maybe because I like the sound of "cosmonaut" more. But hey Mr. Spaceman, one day, will you please take me along for a ride? To the moon, to the Sun, to the space? That would be very kind indeed!

No comments: