Just to today I heard Element of Crime again and then stumbled over that line, “Where the neuroses mushroom I want to be the landscape gardener.” It’s from their song lyrics “Tram of Death.” It’s sounds melancholic and depressive but the song is actually quite nice. And has only partially something to do with neuroses. Watch a self made video here.
There are two stories in the song: one about love and one about a “depressive”, ordinary German city, where everyone is a bit disillusioned, lyrics “where old people stand in corners ranting”, and the supermarket cashiers are rude, lyrics “supermarket of terror, where he being friendly looses’ (this has improved since the song came out; anyhow..). In other words, the ideal place to develop a neurosis from depression.
The protagonist (it’s unclear whether he or she) hangs out with “grey” and disillusioned people just to see his or her love. Basically, s/he tries to set up chance encounters, such as waiting at the paper recycling station until the love comes to dispose paper… Or, standing in the tram to a suburban dormitory town, where nothing happens (hence the title of the song), and enduring other people stepping on his/her feet. But all is fine, when the love enters the tram…
The song is actually quite nice because of these two stories told in one and the twist of feelings. The hate towards the city is turned into a hate-love because it is there where his or her love lives.
Oh, and what I wanted to say is this: sometimes I feel the same with my PhD. It is something that can really push you to the edge of desperation some times, depression looming. Fortunately not now, but there have been a few times over the last years when I was close on deleting the whole bloody thing... (that's nothing new, I guess). But then you have always something nice coming around. Like that, or that, or that (symbol for all others ;P). And many, many more things I like and love. :-# Then, the same twist happens like on the tram of death, and all is fine.
Monday, 18 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
did u go to costa-rica and to boston during your PhD? :) hehehe- that's the only conclusion i can see here; it's nice to remember these moments when you feel like pressing the 'DEL' button.... :)
Da, da, right conclusion by all means...:D but there is another one, that at the end of the day I somehow love my PhD even though it has many faults... :p
da sage ich nur;sag mir bescheid, wenn du mich liebst-die stärkste zeile von element überhaupt !
Post a Comment