Friday, 23 October 2009
Swedes go bottom line
The other day I bought a new shelve for my CDs and DVDs at our beloved Swedish interior designer ("Lebst du schon oder wohnst du noch?"). The reason why I went in the first place was to get a new mattress. I found one but it was too large for my car so I will I have to go back at one point with a van and get it. Anyhow, the shelve is the same to some I already got. While I assembled it I recognized a few things. First, it was made in Sweden. Second, the back-wall (that cardboard thing which you usually have to fix with nails) was in one piece. And third, a few of the fixers were in plastic. Well, all is good except that the others were made in Russia if I remember right. And the cardboard used to be two pieces where both used a fixed part of the shelve as a rest. Finally, the fixers were made of metal, plastic. It wouldn't have been such a great deal (and actually, isn't such a great deal after all) if I had no clue about economics. But it happens to be like this. To cut it short, the interior designer is saving quite a lot of money right now, even in the little shelve I bought. By modifying the mentioned parts in the way just described they save maybe a few pence with each shelve. The manufacturing processes get similar, the pieces are similar (hence, less confusion), and the material is simply cheaper. It wouldn't make much of a difference if one shelve has metal fixers instead of plastic ones. But a million shelves with plastic fixers lower the overall unit cost quite considerably; so does the one piece back wall. It's very post fordian. If you can't create a new market then change the product to yield a higher return. And annoyingly, it will mean more trouble for the customer (plastic is more prone to break; the back walls are harder to assemble and you defo need the nails now). And that thing with "made in...". Well, sure, of course... Whatever you write on it must be true... Yet, after all, I bought the shelve for the price they asked. So what do I complain here?!? As a consumer I do have a choice, and: do I really needed that shelve? Or would have been storage on the floor been sufficient?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
kauf dich möbel bei ligne roset !
Hii!!
Post a Comment